STEP 1: MAKING SIMPLE SYRUP
1.5 cup of sugar
1.5 cup hot water
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, then stir until sugar has dissolved.
STEP 2: COOKING TAPIOCA
Tapioca (The entire bag)
1 large ziploc bag OR foil liners *This is to freeze left over tapioca
i. Bring 3L of water to a full boil in a large pot. Add tapioca pearls and stir occasionally to prevent sticking and clumping.
ii. Once water returns to a boil, turn down the heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, and partially cover the pot with a lid.
iii. After 45 minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit with the lid covered for 15 minutes.
iv. Rinse thoroughly in a colander until the water runs clear, then place pearls into a container with simple syrup.
v. After 20 minutes of soaking in simple syrup, the pearls are ready! Add pearls to your drink or dessert and freeze the rest for later. *Freshly cooked pearls are best consumed within 3 hours.
STEP 3: FREEZING COOKED PEARLS:
@teaspoons.co 📞CALLING ALL BOBA LOVERS📞 you need our boba kits ASAP 🧋😭🧋 #teaspoonsco #yvrfood #mysmallbusiness #bubbletea #diybobakit #ecofriendly ♬ original sound - teaspoons.co
i. Divide evenly between the liners and add 1 tablespoon of simple syrup into each portion OR freeze tapioca flat in a large ziploc bag.
ii. Place filled liners/ziplock bag on a flat surface. Store in freezer until completely frozen. Store in the freezer for future use.
1. To reheat 1 portion of pearls: Remove pearls from liner OR break off the desired portion of pearls from the ziploc bag and place pearls into a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir to separate and microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
3. If pearls are still frozen, microwave in 10-second intervals until you achieve the desired texture.
*Undercooking or overcooking pearls will result in hardened pearls. Power levels in microwaves vary. Adjust time accordingly.
1. In a small pot, bring 500mL of water to a boil.
2. Remove pearls from the liner or break off the desired portion of pearls from the Ziploc bag and place pearls into boiling water.
3. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally to separate pearls.
4. Remove pearls and soak in simple syrup for 5 minutes before serving.